Use this easy technique for a galaxy of snack ideas.
Kids love finger foods and yummy, filled won ton wrappers are no exception. Try a favorite filling of diced banana paired with a spread like Nutella or Dark Chocolate Dreams and a dusting of cinnamon sugar. Just two won ton triangles make a tasty treat for about 100 calories. For myriad variations, try some of our other kid-friendly filling ideas or experiment with your own.
Yummy Wonton Snacks
Makes 12 servings (24 won tons)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes or until golden
Note: Wonton wrappers are usually found in the produce section near the tofu.
1 banana, finely diced or mashed
¼ cup plus 2 Tablespoons Nutella (or spread of your choice, see variations below)
1 (12-ounce) package square-shaped wonton wrappers
1 egg white
Canola oil spray
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
½ teaspoon powdered sugar, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a bowl, combine bananas with Nutella or spread of your choice (see variations below). Mix well.
3. Lay out won ton wrappers on a clean dry surface. Fill each with 1 teaspoon of the filling mixture.
4. Separate egg yolk from white and reserve yolk for another use. Dip finger into egg white and moisten the edges of each wrapper. Fold wrapper on the angle and seal to create small triangular snacks. Press edges together firmly to seal.
5. Place each sealed wrap on a baking sheet lightly coated with canola spray. Gently spray tops of wraps before baking.
6. Bake 10 minutes, or until edges begin to turn golden.
7. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over the top of the hot wraps, if desired.
8. Cool approximately 10 minutes before serving.
Try these other kid-friendly wonton fillings.
• Dessert style: With the banana, try chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch chips; nut butters such as almond, peanut or sunflower; or other prepared spreads such as Justin’s Chocolate Almond Butter and Peanut Butter and Company’s Dark Chocolate Dreams.
• Lasagne style: Chopped spinach mixed into reduced fat or fat-free ricotta cheese. Serve with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
• Pizza style: Chopped mushrooms combined with shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese. Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.
• Mac ‘n Cheese style: Finely chopped broccoli or frozen mixed vegetables combined with shredded cheddar cheese.
• PB&J style: Use peanut butter and your family’s favorite jam or jelly.
• Apple Pie style: Combine chopped apple with ground cinnamon. Serve with vanilla-flavored yogurt for dipping.
By Jessica Corwin, RD