Make Turkey and Veggie Nachos this summer for a dose of hearty veggies in a yummy package.
Turkey and Veggie Nachos
Makes 8 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
1 lb. ground turkey breast
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
2 ½ quarts water, divided
2 Tablespoons taco seasoning (recipe follows)
1 medium bunch broccoli, broken into small florets
1 medium head cauliflower, broken into small florets
8 ounces bite-sized tortilla chips
2 cups shredded reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese
¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
1. In a skillet, cook ground turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add kidney beans and warm through. Add ¾ cup water and taco seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring remaining water to a boil. Add broccoli and cauliflower. Cook for 2 minutes; drain.
3. Place chips in a shallow, ovenproof dish. Top with turkey and bean mixture, broccoli and cauliflower. In a bowl, combine shredded cheese and red pepper. Sprinkle over vegetables. Top with olives.
4. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until heated through.
Skip the store-bought taco seasoning and make your own! Here is a quick substitute:
Makes 2 Tablespoons
1 Tablespoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
½ teaspoon paprika
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Turkey and Veggie Nachos nutrition facts per serving:
390 calories, 16 grams fat, 6 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 560 mg sodium, 34 grams carb, 8 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar, 23 grams protein
Written and photographed by Kristen Doyle, dineanddish.net