Real Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes • • Bake Time: 45-50 minutes
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg, beaten
3 teaspoons canola oil
2 medium egg whites, beaten
3 large ripe bananas
1 cup instant oatmeal (maple or cinnamon flavor)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan, spray with cooking spray or grease the pan. (Butter works best.)
3. In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, table salt, baking soda and baking powder.
4. Stir the canola oil and eggs into the bowl.
5. In a separate bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher or fork. Then add bananas and oatmeal to the batter.
6. Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake it for about 45-50 minutes. Use a cake prick or toothpick and test in the middle. The bread is ready if it comes out clean.
Top moist slices of homemade banana bread with a whipped cream cheese spread and thin slices of fresh strawberries.