Note: If you sprinkle peppermint on the brownies, do it right before they are done cooking.
Makes 2 dozen
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
½ cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup sour cream
½ cup milk chocolate chips
Powdered sugar or crushed peppermint candy (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Lightly grease a 13- x 9-inch baking pan.
3. Place unsweetened chocolate, semisweet chocolate and butter in medium microwavable bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes or until butter is melted.
4. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool to room temperature.
5. Combine flour, salt and baking powder in small bowl.
6. Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until slightly thickened.
7. Beat in chocolate mixture until well combined. Add flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended.
8. Add sour cream. Beat at low speed until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
9. Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Do not overbake.
11. Cool brownies completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into 2-inch squares.
12. Place powdered sugar in a fine mesh strainer; sprinkle over brownies (optional).
By Yum Food & Fun for Kids Staff