Edible nests filled with tiny candy eggs bring springtime delight to your family’s table.
Nothing says spring has arrived quite like the presence of nests in the trees and mama birds carefully watching over their eggs. Let your kids create a nest of their own with milk chocolate and crunchy chow mein noodles. Assist them with melting the chocolate, and then let them do the rest with your guidance. When they add the candy eggs, they’ve created a special snack or dessert they can be proud of.
Springtime Nests with Candy Eggs
Prep time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour to chill
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 cups packaged crunchy chow mein noodles
12 candy eggs or jelly beans
1. Melt chocolate and vegetable oil in a large microwave-safe bowl, pausing the microwave to stir the chocolate mixture every 15 seconds. Watch closely to make sure the chocolate does not burn.
2. Remove the bowl from the microwave and add the chow mein noodles, stirring gently until the noodles are completely coated.
3. Spoon the mixture into four piles onto wax paper that is lightly coated with cooking spray.
4. Using your hands, mold each pile into the shape of a nest.
5. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
6. Fill nests with candy eggs or jelly beans.
Written and photographed by Kristen Doyle