Kids love finger foods, so why not skewer a salad for a fun project that’s also a healthful treat: Salad-on-a-Stick.
Getting the kids to eat a side salad with dinner can be difficult. Let’s face it, anything green can be off-putting to picky palates. So, next time you make a salad, whip up Salad-on-a-Stick. Use your family’s salad favorites for appealing veggie kabobs that we like to call Salad-on-a-Stick. They are easy to make and fun to eat!
Firm lettuce (romaine or iceberg work well)
Sweet bell pepper pieces, any color
Low-fat plain yogurt
Prepared ranch dressing (or see recipe on page 37)
1. Help your young assistant chop or tear all vegetables.
2. Place on a large plate or cookie sheet with bamboo skewers or chopsticks. (If using chopsticks, use a small knife to perforate veggies.)
3. Let your helper skewer the vegetables onto the sticks.
4. Mix equal parts low-fat plain yogurt and ranch dressing.
5. Serve your Salad-on-a-Stick as a side dish, appetizer or snack.