Note: Use store-bought cookies for a no-bake version.
Sugar cookie recipe (follows)
Red gum drops
Chocolate-covered mini pretzels
1. Make the sugar cookie recipe (below) but omit lemon zest. Or you
can use your favorite sugar cookie recipe, or store-bought dough.
2. Roll dough into balls and flatten to make a round cookie.
3. Bake as directed. Remove from oven and cool for 1 minute.
4. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire racks.
5. Use royal icing to fasten gum drop nose, mini-pretzel antlers and
chocolate chip eyes.
To make the reindeer cookies pictured above, use this basic sugar cookie recipe, which can be enjoyed all year round!
Makes approximately 3 dozen
Prep time: 15 minutes plus 1 hour to chill dough
Cook time: 8-12 minutes per batch
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 ounces cream cheese
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 cups flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl or a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the egg and beat until light and smooth.
4. Add the cream cheese and beat until combined.
5. Add the flavorings and lemon zest.
6. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl; fold into the butter mixture a little at a time until combined.
7. Divide dough in half and flatten into two disks.
8. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour and up to 2 days.
9. Divide dough in half, refrigerate one piece and roll the other piece to ¼- to 1/8-inch thickness; roll
between parchment paper, if desired.
10. Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes. Let cookies rest for a minute before removing onto a wire rack to
cool. Cool completely before decorating.
11. Use royal icing or your favorite butter cream-style frosting to decorate. Store
in a tightly covered container.
Recipe provided and styled by Celia Merriday
Photography by Gennifer Merriday