You can use any pieces of chicken, but make sure that you check each piece for doneness in the thickest section. We used chicken legs because they are inexpensive and kid friendly. There should be enough rub for 12 pieces.
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus 1 hour to marinate)
Cook time: 20-40 minutes, or until thickest part of each piece reaches 180°F.
Zesty Chicken Rub
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white pepper (or you can use black pepper)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
12 chicken legs (or other pieces)
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup apple cider or white vinegar
Your favorite barbeque sauce, if desired
1. Mix the rub ingredients together.
2. Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Rub seasoning mix all over chicken pieces. Place chicken with any remaining rub in a 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag. Add olive oil and vinegar and refrigerate for one hour.
4. Place the chicken on a lightly oiled grill set up for indirect grilling (see sidebar).
5. Cook 10 minutes on one side and then turn. Cook until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reaches 180°F.
6. Before removing chicken from heat, brush with your favorite barbeque sauce, if desired.
Grilling Tip: How to Avoid Flare-ups
Flare-ups will make meat dry and burned. To avoid them use indirect grilling. Depending on your grill type, place coals on the sides and the chicken in the center; or turn up the side burners but leave the middle one low or off, and place the chicken above the burner that’s off.
Recipe by Yum Food & Fun Staff
Photography by Laura Flowers, thecookingphotographer.com