Frito Chili with Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob is a fun dinner that can be served with your favorite toppings.
In this reverse version of a Frito Boat, nostalgic corn chips garnish bowls of Frito Chili instead of the other way around. Brown the beef the night before and add all the ingredients to the slow-cooker in the morning and you’ll have a hands-off dinner ready by supper.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 8-10 hours in slow cooker
2 lbs. lean ground beef or ground bison
1 onion, chopped
2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (8-ounce) can corn, drained
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef and onions together. Drain well.
2. Stir together all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cover. Cook for 8-10 hours on low. Garnish bowls with cheese and Fritos.
Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob
Cook time: 30 minutes
4-6 ears of corn
Butter to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the oven rack in the middle and preheat to 350°F.
2. Snip off any dangly small leaves and silks from the cobs. Place directly on the rack and bake for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the corn from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before handling. Peel back husks and pull off silks. Serve with butter, salt and pepper.
Recipe and photography by Laura Flowers