Make your 4th of July even sweeter with Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies.
Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are a fun, festive way to bring red, white and blue to your party table. Decadent and refreshing, they are the perfect July 4th indulgence. Dig in!
Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
Makes approximately 12 cookies for 6 ice cream sandwiches.
2⁄3 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon water
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
1⁄3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
½ gallon vanilla ice cream
Red and blue sanding or decorator’s sugar
1. Cream together butter, sugar, water and vanilla. Beat in eggs.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture a little at a time and combine.
3. Add chocolate chips and nuts, if using, and combine.
4. Place rounded tablespoons of dough approximately 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes. Cool 2 minutes and then remove cookies to cooling racks.
6. When cookies are completely cool, place in zip-top plastic bags and freeze in a single layer.
7. When ready to make sandwiches, allow ice cream to soften a bit then smooth onto back side of a frozen cookie and top with another to make a sandwich.
8. Roll outside of sandwich on a plate of blue- and red-colored sugar. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and freeze until serving.
By Hillary Black and Bridgett Hurley
Recipes by Yum Food & Fun Staff
Photography by Bret Gum
Styled by Jacqueline deMontravel