Makes 12 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
1 package flour tortillas
1. Heat 1 inch of oil in a large, deep frying pan to medium heat or 350°F.
2. While the oil is heating, use a paring knife to carve/cut pumpkin faces out of each tortilla.
3. When the oil is hot, fry one tortilla pumpkin at a time, flipping over when the first side is lightly golden.
4. Remove the tortilla pumpkin once the second side is lightly golden (about a minute or less total). Transfer to a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
5. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon to your taste. For savory, sprinkle them with salt instead.
Note: For savory treats, sprinkle with salt, instead of sugar and cinnamon, and serve with salsa and guacamole.
Recipes by Shanna Coady
Photography by Trina Roberts and Jon Barber/Grin Photography
Styled by Shanna Coady and Jacqueline deMontravel