Every layer has a different flavor in these candy-shaped cookies.
Makes Approx. 93 cookies
Prep time: 25 minutes
Bake time: 7 minutes per sheet
Note: To keep cookies triangle shaped, rotate the dough covered cookie sheets through the freezer for 7 minutes between batches.
⅔ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 pouches (1 lb. 1.5 ounce) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
Wilton Golden Yellow Icing Color Paste
½ teaspoon lemon extract
Wilton Orange Icing Color Paste
½ teaspoon orange extract
1. Line an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan with waxed paper, extending paper over sides of pan.
2. In a stand mixer beat the eggs together. With the mixer on low speed pour in the butter. Beat in the sugar cookie mix until just combined.
3. Remove from mixer and divide the dough into three equal parts.
4. Add one section of dough to the mixer with 1 ½ teaspoon lemon extract and a small amount of yellow food color paste until desired color is reached. Beat until combined and set aside.
5. Add a second dough section to the mixer with 1½ teaspoon orange extract and a small amount of orange food color paste. Mix until combined. Leave the last section untouched plain.
6. Pat the yellow dough into the wax paper lined pan. Press gently with the back of a dry measuring cup to even out the dough. Next, add the plain dough and repeat. Then spread the orange dough across the top.
7. Fold the wax paper over the dough and use the paper to gently pull the dough away from the dish. Refrigerate for several hours.
8. Once chilled, dump the dough out onto a cutting surface. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375°F.
9. Cut dough into ¼-inch thick slices. Cut slices into triangles as shown. You can discard or bake the side pieces.
10. Place cookies on sheets 1 ½ inches apart. Bake for 7-8 minutes until very lightly golden on the sides. To make candy corn shape: Working quickly after cookies come out of the oven, take two spatulas and gently move the 2 sides back into shape. If the cookies harden before you finish the sheet, stick them back in the oven for two minutes to soften.
11. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes. Then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Photography and Recipes by Laura Flowers