Hop to it and make a Bunny Cake for Easter that’ll take center stage on your table.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
1 (18.25-ounce) package white or yellow
3 ¾ cups flaked coconut (divided)
1 (16-ounce) package vanilla frosting
Handful of small jelly beans
4 pieces black or red licorice for whiskers
1. Preheat oven and prepare two 9-inch round baking pans as directed on cake box. Prepare cake batter as directed on package, adding in ½ cup of the coconut. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake and cool cake as directed on package.
2. Before frosting, place the cakes in the freezer for no more than 15 minutes.
3. Place one 9-inch cake layer on a serving tray, forming the bunny’s head. Cut 2 convexshaped ears from each side of the second layer and place on each side of “head” to form ears.
4. Optional: Use leftover concave-shaped piece to make a bowtie, placed about ½ inch below head.
5. Frost entire bunny, covering top and sides of bunny. Pat remaining 3¼ cups coconut evenly over top and sides. Decorate the bunny face and bowtie with jelly beans, and use the licorice to make whiskers.
By Jacqueline deMontravel
Photography by Todd Porter and Diane Cu
Styled by Jacqueline deMontravel, Amanda Heer, Kathy Jo Peterson