For sweet cupcakes to make this Valentine’s Day, try using Yum’s Best-ever White Cake recipe. Here are also a few tips for icing your cupcakes!
Makes approx. 12-14 cupcakes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 eggs, separated, well beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup milk or sour cream
1. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cream together the sugar and butter.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Add to the butter mixture and combine.
4. Sift together the flour and baking powder and gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the milk or sour cream just until batter is smooth. Fold in beaten egg-whites.
5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on cooling racks to cool completely before frosting.
For icing success, follow these tips:
• Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
• Try freezing the cakes for a few minutes before topping with frosting.
• Sift confectioners’ sugar before using.
• Use a chilled bowl for making frosting.
• For a sturdier consistency, slowly incorporate more confectioners’ sugar; to thin, add a little milk or corn syrup and combine.
• Experiment with different extracts such as almond, orange, mint etc. Or try combinations, such as ½ teaspoon vanilla and ½ teaspoon almond extract.
• Place sprinkles or other decorations on frosting immediately, before it sets.
• For less sweetness, slowly add confectioners’ sugar to taste and desired consistency; try adding a pinch of kosher or fine grain salt; or try the tasty, alternative and lower sugar recipes found in this compendium.
By Hillary Black
Photo by Nicole Hill Gerulat